Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Not Quite Kindergarten

Last night, I had a meeting at church. My church perpetually has meetings—meetings to determine when we should have further meetings, meetings for individual ministries, meetings for the church as a whole, meetings for people involved in this, and meetings for people thinking about possibly, at some time in life, being involved in that.
And every meeting is dealt with with extreme seriousness.
Last year, I worked in the nursery, I played music Sunday mornings, and I taught children's church.
This year, I got three separate emails: we would need to have a nursery meeting, a music meeting, and a children's church meeting.
Yesterday was the nursery meeting, so I met with the other women who work in the nursery.
Subject: should we really call the nursery The Nursery.
We had supporters on both sides.
Me: Well, calling it the nursery has worked so far. Does the name really matter?
Another Women: But wouldn't we like something more soothing, more loving? Something like the Cabbage Patch?
Yet another Woman: Maybe it would be nice to call them The Fleas?
Another: We should probably avoid anything that would make the children feel like animals.
The meeting stretched on.
All the others seemed intent on changing the nursery's name, because after all, some of the children are now going to preschool, so we wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea and think we're calling them babies.
So, the suggestions came: The Cabbage Patch, The Fleas, The Children's Corner, The Teddy Bears, etc.
At one point, I was asked if I had a suggestion.
“Hmmm...” I said, looking at my notebook where I'd written nothing down, but instead had been turning my pen back and forth to form squiggles. “Erm...well...yes, a name.”
They all watched me as I squirmed.
I suddenly had an idea and sat up straight, proud to have though of something. “How about The Lion's Den?”
They all sat silent, not wanting to immediately shoot down my idea.
“It's nice, but...” They decided it was too negative, and that it wouldn't do at all to call the nursery The Lion's Den.
So, the discussion continued.
We left two hours later, having decided to call the nursery The Children's Garden. We'd then take pictures of each child and post his or her photo in the middle of a flower.
Stephan came and picked me up that night. I recounted the experience to him, and he said, “You know, you might as well have called it Kindergarten.”
Hmmm. No wonder The Children's Garden sounded so nice. I guess we weren't so creative after all. But then, what is creativity if it isn't the reformatting of something we've already seen?

No comments: