Thursday, June 3, 2010

Summer's Coming...

It's incredibly clear to me that summer is rapidly approaching. I wouldn't necessarily be getting this idea from the weather (cold, rain, cloudy skies...), but I can tell from the way that the women in my class stare out the windows. I can tell from the way that they rattle on in Berber, and the only word I understand is "Morocco". I can tell from the way that no one listens to lessons anymore; they only prop their feet up on chairs and dream about vacation.
And it's okay. I don't have it in me to find this frustrating. I just talk until I feel hoarse, and then sit down, and think, "If I were headed home to Morocco in a few weeks, I'd be distracted too."
So, problem solved: we've decided to move up our end-of-the-year party two weeks. We'll eat our Tagine, dance, and speculate as to who might be getting pregnant soon, and then, we'll be, as the French like to say, tranquilles. We've decided to continue with "half classes" until the end of the year--June 24th. We'll do our daily stories, but coupled with conversation groups. And I feel relieved, because to tell you the truth, lesson plans and I are not on friendly terms.
So, conversation groups: here I come!

No comments: