Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wedding Preparations...years in advance


Monday, I had yet another class with my unmotivated but extremely fun Sri Lankan student.
Each time I've met with her (which honestly, is only one month's worth of classes), she's given me a gift as a thanks for the French help.
The first time we met, she taught a friend and me to make Chicken Tandoori as she makes it in her Indian restaurant. Another time, she gave me an embroided tunic top. Yet another time, she took me to dinner at her cousin's Indian restaurant (as mentioned in the previous post), and then, this Monday, she gave me some Sri Lankan wedding jewelry.
She actually, interestingly enough, makes this jewelry. She showed me her kit and her pliers and the various bits and pieces of this and that. She strings them together, pinches them, twists them, knots them into things of beauty. I was having fun watching the jewelry making process, and she said, "You want?"
I replied, "Oh, it's beautiful, but you should keep them and sell them."
"No," she said, "gratuit for you." Free for me.
At her insisting, I took the necklace and started wearing it, thinking that would encourage her, show her how much I liked her gift.
"No, no, no," she said, shaking her head. "Take off. You wear that not on wedding day, people think you weird."
So, I took it off and the necklace is hanging alongside my other jewelry inside my bedroom. I wouldn't, after all, want to look weird...

1 comment:

manfredsbuns said...

Katie, no matter what you did, you would not look weird. But now you're ready for the big day, right?