Monday, April 11, 2011

Low

Well, here it is, over 3 months later, and I haven't written a word...  I suppose "This American Life"isn't quite as exciting as that old France life I used to know.   I've been substitute teaching, which is more than occasionally a nightmare.  On the evenings and weekends, I'm working at a retirement home, playing the one song I know on my ukulele and feeling pretty thrilled with myself when the residents praise me for my musical skill.
But as it is right now, I'm feeling those "mean reds" that Holly Golightly used to talk about.  Stephan flew over from France on March 25, and we spent these past two and a half weeks together.  They were pretty perfect.  We spent a week in the States and then a week visiting my brother and sister-in-law who currently live in the Dominican Republic.  We surfed, ate ridiculously enormous portions of food, lounged around in the sun, and tried our hands at Spanish and haggling.  It was a fun life. 
And now, Stephan's left, and I'm in bed at 10 on a school night. 
Stephan will be back in August, and if the government processes our application for our fiancé visa in the normal amount of time, we'll be getting married very soon after.  And then...?  The questions are still unanswered.  We still might end up in France.  But we still might be back here.  Time will tell,  I guess.
But right now, I'm wishing I could have frozen time...
My mind is right here...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey! Glad to see you're doing well. My bf and I are thinking of going the fiance visa route as well. Let me know about your experience bc it'd be good to get some tips from someone who has been there :) hampton.rach@gmail.com

Leanne said...

Great picture!! I love you two! Glad you were able to enjoy so much time together!